Hello! Today I'm going to do two things for you. I am going to teach you the technique that Chinese Restaurants and my mum uses to get that super tender meat for a stirfry and such. This way you can make all the stirfry you want without ordering expensive, fatty takeaways. You can also use this method with chicken too as well as beef.
Also, I'm going to introduce you to the amazing XO sauce named like the fine cognac and my lord it is very fine and perfect to take dishes up a level, being more complex than regular soy sauce or oyster sauce alike.
(Steps 1,2,3 and 6 are velveting the meat, everything else is the stir fry.)
For Velveting the meat:
Beef- 400g Any cut will do even cheap ones, as velveting with make even the toughest cuts soft, although saying that, I'm using sirloin awks.
Corn Starch/ Fine White Corn Flour- 2tbsp this is the real star that will soften the meat.
Chinese Cooking Wine- 2tbsp This will help add flavour and help the cornflour stick to the beef, also it'll probably help the meat tenderize too but I'm not too sure.
For The Stir Fry:
XO Sauce- 2tbsp this is the real MVP of the show packed with so much umami you don't know what to do
Garlic- 4 cloves
Ginger- About a thumb of ginger
The Velveted Beef
Red Peppers- 2
Mangetout- A handful you don't need too much unless you like them then whatever
Regular Cooking Oil- 2tsp
Regular Cooking Oil- 2tsp
1. Firstly we can start by thinly slicing the beef.
2. In a bowl add the beef and equal parts cooking wine and cornflour 2tbsp should be adequate, then mix together ensuring beef is coated.
3. Set the mixture aside for 30mins minimum and that's half the velveting done. Now we can concentrate on prepping the stir fry.
4. Finely chop the ginger there's no need to peel it, I've never peeled ginger, also crush and chop the garlic and put them into the same bowl.
5. Chop the peppers and onions and put it into a bowl with the mangetout whole and prep is done.
6. Now to finish velveting the meat. After the meat has sat for 30 minutes, bring a pan of water to boiling point then add the beef and bring to boil again for 3-5 mins, then drain and we're ready for stir fry! Also, you could fry the meat in 2 inches of oil it works the same but that's fat.
7. Get a fresh frying pan and bring it to a high heat then add the oil.
8. When the pan is smoking hot add the garlic and ginger then mix.
9. Before ginger and garlic start browning, add all the veggies and start stir-frying this is going to happen quickly because the pan is going to be very very hot.
10. Once the veggies start softening a lil add the beef and stirfry!
11. Now add 2 tbsp of XO and mix that baby in then take in those smells. If it seems a lil dry add some water then fry until a thick sauce is formed then you're done. Enjoy with a bowl of rice of something.