Everyone loves BBQ and everyone loves chicken right?! In this recipe instead of frying chicken we're going to oven bake them in a sweet, simple and very quick BBQ sauce. This recipe is so easy and reasonably quick as there's no need to marinate for hours on end. Oven baking will reduce this sauce into a beautiful thick glazed coating the chicken, you can even use the left-over sauce for dipping!
1kg- Chicken, wings would be the more classic option but drumsticks, thighs, any cut will do, it works great with Pork too
1cup- Tomato Sauce
1/4cup- Soy Sauce, you can always add more with the bbq sauce it's about balancing the flavours so if you want it a lil saltier add more
1/4cup- maple syrup, sugar also works and a lot like the soy sauce if you like a sweeter sauce then add more sugar or syrup
2-4- Chillis, any kind will do and add as many or as few as you like, you know how much heat you can handle
4- Shallots, you can also use onions if you can't find any but only use like 1 medium size onion
Optional: 3tbsp- white wine vinegar, it's all down to preference it just adds a lil tang
1. Start off by putting all your chicken into a baking dish and preheating your oven to 220 degrees C then finely dicing the shallots, garlic and chillies although it doesn't matter too much how fine you chop the chillis
2. Now in a lightly oiled pan on a mid-heat add the shallots and garlic and lightly fry until onions become translucent.
3. Add the chillis after onions are translucent and stir them around be careful not to breathe in the fumes or you'll have an intense coughing fit, fry until the chillies are fragrant.
4. Once chillis are fragrant add tomato sauce, soy sauce and maple syrup to the pan. Normally these 3 ingredients alone are enough for a decent bbq but we're adding everything else for that lil extra. When everything is added mix around if you added sugar, mix on the heat until all the sugar has dissolved but if you added maple syrup stir until the mixture is boiling then pour onto the chicken and put into the oven for 30-40 minutes.
5. Take out the chicken when done and the sauce should have thickened and glazed the chicken after leaving it to cool down a lil enjoy!